About you: Join us. Unleash your energy within.
If you have world-class ambitions to reach the stars while keeping your feet on the ground, we’re the team for you. We've created a new breed of company – future-focused with reimagined ambition across all disciplines within the energy sector.
We love people who know their own potential and are not afraid to use it. We know that together, we’re far more than the sum of our parts. So, we celebrate people who want to grow and develop as we work together on some of the largest projects on the energy world stage. Our purpose and beliefs:
As Kent, we’re tackling the greatest challenge of our time - to bring our world the energy it needs in the most responsible way ever imagined.
It’s the energy of every member of our team driven by our beliefs that is making this happen. Whatever our skill, our language, or our culture. These beliefs define and direct us every day to be the very best - for ourselves, our clients, our key stakeholders, the communities we operate in and the planet:
We PLAY BIG
We thrive on EMOTIONAL AGILITY
We are FANATICAL ABOUT PERFORMANCE
We are built on INFINITE THINKING Read more
about the Purpose, Beliefs and Guiding Principles that drive us: https://kentplc.com/who-we-are/purpose-beliefs Our vision for Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging:
We recognize that diversity & inclusion are catalysts for success. We’re heightening awareness on the benefits of people diversity, diversity of experiences and diversity of our perspectives. Creating a culture of inclusivity where all employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our combined energy is fueled by different nationalities, across 6 continents and 24 countries. Our commitment is to celebrate character – no matter what ethnic background, gender, age, religion, identity, or disability. About the Job: Kent is seeking a Technical Safety Discipline Manager to base out of our Houston Office. As part of a leading consultancy, this individual will work with the Kent team (based in Calgary/Houston) to successfully lead the Technical Safety team and deliver technical safety consultancy services across a wide range of clients within high hazard industries such as Oil & Gas, Low Carbon and Renewables industries and through the energy transition.Your Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership on a full spectrum of technical safety studies carried out within the team and ensure technical safety work product strictly complies with Kent and Industry standards and best practices.
- Management of projects to ensure work is defined and delivered in compliance with agreed scope, budgets, and schedules.
- Provide leadership and quality assurance for client deliverables.
- Facilitate and/or participate in HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA and other risk management workshops.
- Support and mentoring junior Technical Safety Consultants to further develop their skills and application of Technical Safety principles.
- Develop and maintain strong ties with local and global clients to develop and win work across a range of high hazard industries.
- Develop and maintain strong ties with Technical Safety Discipline Managers in other Kent regions to identify work share opportunities.
- Liaise with other Kent disciplines and groups to identify opportunities to provide an integrated solution to the client, which includes Technical Safety as part of Kent Engineering Services.
- Interpret client needs and support Kent Proposals team to prepare technical proposals and CTRs to ensure those needs are met.
- Promote the wider Kent capabilities.
- Support Kent global technical community to further develop in-house technical tools, standards, and procedures.
- Familiar with Facility Siting Studies and API RP 752, 753 and 756.
- Work with the Kent Director of Engineering to maximize team productivity.
- Lead staff development planning to establish staff development and training goals for the year and hold quarterly reviews with staff to monitor progress.
- Timesheet management to ensure that weekly timesheets are submitted and approved on time.
- Support BD with preparation of marketing materials.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering discipline, (Chemical, Mechanical, Environmental Engineering).
- A Professional Engineering license (P.E. or P. Eng.), Chartered Engineer (CEng), or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) status is desirable.
- Process/Technical Safety professional with between 10 and 15 years of experience in high hazard industries.
- Technical competence in risk identification, risk assessment and risk management methodologies.
- Demonstrated strong skills in one or more of the following:
- Integrating technical safety within the design process and/or operating practices.
- PHA facilitation (HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA, SILA, etc.).
- Consequence and frequency analyses.
- Fire and Explosion Risk Analysis (FERA).
- Fault / Event Tree Analysis.
- Dropped object and impact studies.
- Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA).
- Authoring Safety Cases, including ALARP demonstrations.
- Human factors.
- Bow Tie Analysis.
- Experience in a client-facing role, showing an understanding of the commercial challenges relevant to an engineering consultancy business.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to provide advice on technical issues both externally and internally.
- Must be highly proficient in English.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- A co-operative and helpful attitude toward both colleagues and clients.
- Demonstrated experience leading a team and mentoring of more junior resources.
- A strong drive and willingness to continue learning from clients and colleagues.
- Confident in selling services, preparation of proposals and cost estimates for studies and winning work.
- Adaptable to changing working hour requirements as needed to accommodate project work and client needs in other time zones.
- Flexible in work location as needed (home/remote, Kent office, client’s office)
- Full fluency in English is required.
- Must be able to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work with the team in developing improved work processes for the department.