Join us. Unleash your energy within.
If you have world-class ambitions to reach the stars while keeping your feet on the ground, we’re the team for you. We've created a new breed of company – future-focused with reimagined ambition across all disciplines within the energy sector.
We love people who know their own potential and are not afraid to use it. We know that together, we’re far more than the sum of our parts. So, we celebrate people who want to grow and develop as we work together on some of the largest projects on the energy world stage.
Our purpose and beliefs:
As Kent, we’re tackling the greatest challenge of our time - to bring our world the energy it needs in the most responsible way ever imagined.
It’s the energy of every member of our team driven by our beliefs that is making this happen. Whatever our skill, our language, or our culture. These beliefs define and direct us every day to be the very best - for ourselves, our clients, our key stakeholders, the communities we operate in and the planet:
We PLAY BIG
We thrive on EMOTIONAL AGILITY
We are FANATICAL ABOUT PERFORMANCE
We are built on INFINITE THINKING
Our vision for Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging:
We recognise that diversity & inclusion are catalysts for success. We’re heightening awareness on the benefits of people diversity, diversity of experiences and diversity of our perspectives. Creating a culture of inclusivity where all employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our combined energy is fueled by different nationalities, across 6 continents and 24 countries. Our commitment is to celebrate character – no matter what ethnic background, gender, age, religion, identity, or disability.
About the job:
Kent is recruiting Protection Relay Technicians / Electrical Engineers on a rotation basis in Tengiz, Kazakhstan. Requiring frontline commissioning skills, the required applicants are to address technically complex pre-commissioning and commissioning of Relay Hardware on site. While not a necessity, specific experience with Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) relays would be advantageous.
Test and commission SEL protection relays and energy meter using a secondary current injection test set such as Omicron CMC 256 and primary current injection test set such as CPC 100.Testing of protection relays includes but not limited to the following:
1. Configuration of relays.
2. Relay hardware checks.
3. Relay inputs/outputs including control wiring checks.
4. Protection testing of various protection functions such as transformer differential, restricted earth fault, bus differential, motor thermal overload, under/over voltage, under/over frequency, etc.
5. Verify and test relay logic and protection schemes such as breaker failure protection, direct transfer trip, etc. Experience with SEL Mirrored Bits communication is highly desirable.
6. Arc flash testing of LV/MV systems. Experience with IEC61850 / GOOSE communications is highly desirable.
7. Provide support for SCADA commissioning by simulating data points in the relays. Experience with DNP 3.0/ Modbus communication protocol is highly desirable.
8. Responsible for in depth troubleshooting of protection and control circuits as well as analysis of protection alarms and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) including but not limited to: application errors and omissions, drawing errors and omissions, wiring errors and omissions, settings errors and omissions, equipment malfunctions, questionable relay test results.
9. Perform end-to-end relay testing to verify carrier and fiber systems.
10. Determine an isolation plan to take protective schemes out of service prior to work beginning.
11. Documentation of As-Left/As-Built station drawings (Station Prints and As-Left Relay Settings)
12. Provide necessary support during energization of new equipment such as transformers, motors, generators, etc. May be required to work in an outdoor substation environment.
13. Complete and implement assigned work within agreed upon scope, schedule and budget to a high level of quality and safety.
14. Provide technical support and training to technicians.
15. Provide leadership and supervision to technicians.
16. Attend safety meetings and employee training as assigned.
17. Perform any other duties as assigned by the manager.
Your knowledge/skills, education, and experience:
1. College Degree, Bachelor Degree or Master in Electrical Engineering.
2. Any certificate regarding protection relay training is a bonus.
3. Minimum five (5) years of relay testing experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
1. Possesses, understands, and applies the power system fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of power system commissioning.
2. Relay Communication Software – Bonus to have skills in SEL Compass, AcSELerator Quickset (SEL 5030) and SEL-5032 ACSELERATOR Architect Software
3. Bonus to have familiarity testing various models of SEL devices such as SEL-751, SEL-787, SEL-311L, SEL-411L, SEL-2411,SEL-587Z, SEL-849 and SEL-3530 RTAC is highly desirable.
4. Programming Omicron for testing the above mentioned protections (Auto & Manual), Setting up the hardware and wiring over the relay and Omicron.
5. Capability to verify the test result and correct the logic / configuration.
6. Familiar with IEC electrical standards.
7. Familiar with IEC 61850 and communication protocols such as TCP/IP, Modbus,DNP 3.0 etc.
1. Able to read and write technical manuals and instructions.
2. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact in a team-based environment.
3. System and equipment troubleshooting skills.
4. Demonstrate safe work ethic.
5. Ability to stay over-night, out of town and be available to travel as projects require.
6. Ability to work over-time and extended periods of time.
7. Adhere to all Company Safety and Health Policies.
8. Efficient working with basic hand tools and power tools.
1. Good knowledge of electric power system protection and control, integration and/or automation and communications applications.
2. Experience testing SEL protection relays
3. Proven experience in using the Omicron suite of equipment for secondary system testing.
4. Experience with IEC61850 and GOOSE messaging.
Details about the role:
Location: Tengiz, Kazakhstan
Relocation required: Yes – 28/28 Rotational basis
Location: Site Based at Tengiz, Kazakhstan – Camp accommodation & Transport provided
Travel required: Yes
Contract type: Fixed Term – duration of project.
Experience level: 5+ Years