Join us. Unleash your energy within.
If you have world-class ambitions to reach the stars while keeping your feet on the ground, we’re the team for you. We've created a new breed of company – future-focused with reimagined ambition across all disciplines within the energy sector.
We love people who know their own potential and are not afraid to use it. We know that together, we’re far more than the sum of our parts. So, we celebrate people who want to grow and develop as we work together on some of the largest projects on the energy world stage.
Our purpose and beliefs:
As Kent, we’re tackling the greatest challenge of our time - to bring our world the energy it needs in the most responsible way ever imagined.
It’s the energy of every member of our team driven by our beliefs that is making this happen. Whatever our skill, our language, or our culture. These beliefs define and direct us every day to be the very best - for ourselves, our clients, our key stakeholders, the communities we operate in and the planet:
We PLAY BIG
We thrive on EMOTIONAL AGILITY
We are FANATICAL ABOUT PERFORMANCE
We are built on INFINITE THINKING
Read more about the Purpose, Beliefs and Guiding Principles that drive us: https://kentplc.com/who-we-are/purpose-beliefs
Our vision for Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging:
We recognize that diversity & inclusion are catalysts for success. We’re heightening awareness of the benefits of people diversity, diversity of experiences and diversity of our perspectives. Creating a culture of inclusivity where all employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our combined energy is fueled by different nationalities, across 6 continents and 24 countries. Our commitment is to celebrate character – no matter what ethnic background, gender, age, religion, identity, or disability.
About the job:
Kent is seeking a Project Engineer for projects in Sarnia, Ontario and future projects in Canada. The ideal candidate is a Jr. to Intermediate Project Engineer with UNDER 10 years of experience, seeking their next career move with an exciting company that can offer them more responsibility and career growth.
Project Engineers are the single point of accountability for engineering services scope execution on projects where an Engineering Manager is not assigned. The Project Engineer is responsible to deliver all assigned engineering services projects as promised, ensuring they are being executed per the contract, establishing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), regulatory and legal requirements and responsible to communicating regularly with their client counterpart to develop a relationship that leads to follow-on work.
On projects where a project Engineering Manager is assigned, the Project Engineer is responsible for the coordination of engineering services with other project functions as well as other specific duties as assigned by the Project Manager/Area Manager or Portfolio/Alliance Manager.
Workforce Leadership and Management:
- Demonstrate the leadership required to affect positive change, integrity and 100% responsibility for project results. Create a context for the project team that enables success (includes understanding the team and how to motivate them, generating a clear vision for success, supporting a collaborative working environment and maintaining a positive attitude).
- Collaborate with functional Department Managers to ensure that the project is staffed with appropriate personnel. Escalate project staffing concerns to functional Department Managers as required.
- Provide project team member performance feedback to functional leaders on an ongoing basis and formally as required for the annual performance appraisal process.
- Identify project-specific performance objectives to project team members as required.
- Facilitate manpower levelling for the workload in the Sarnia office (includes inputting information into the Sarnia MFL as required).
- Deliver all projects to established KPI targets while operating within regulatory, ethical and legal boundaries. Standard KPIs include schedule, cost, quality (e.g. rework) and health & safety indicators. Other KPIs and associated targets may be identified and communicated by leadership.
- Monitor project performance and communicate performance and issues as appropriate to internal and external stakeholders. Ensure all project reporting requirements – both internal and external – are met.
- Ensure that SNC-Lavalin’s contractual obligations towards the client are met (work with the Project Manager or Alliance Manager to understand contractual requirements and execute accordingly).
- Understand the client’s business and articulate appropriate direction to the project team for alignment.
- Clarify and communicate the project scope to project team members. Note: in situations where there is no Project Manager leading project execution, the Project engineer's own project scope and Work Breakdown Structure (WBS).
- Support the development of the project execution plan and quality plan as agreed with the client. For portfolio work under a master services agreement (aka alliance work), the Project Engineer will develop project estimates which represent the project execution plans. These estimates are supported by portfolio/alliance execution processes and procedures (which are owned by the Alliance Manager) as required by individual clients. Project quality plans for portfolio/alliance work are generic and modified as required to suit the needs of a project through input by the Project Engineer.
- Establish appropriate communication systems (e.g. meeting structures) to ensure that all required data and information necessary for the successful execution of the project are made available to project stakeholders.
- Manage client, subcontractor, project partner, the project team (e.g. inter-discipline) and other key project stakeholder interfaces. Support engineering leads in vendor interface management. Resolve interface issues as they arise to ensure the timely flow of accurate information.
- In collaboration with quality functional leadership, ensure that project execution adheres to the appropriate standards and procedures (including SNC-Lavalin’s Capability Hub and any project or alliance-specific processes and procedures).
- Ensure project team members execute timely change management with clear communication to both internal interfaces (e.g. internal functions such as engineering, procurement, etc) and external interfaces (e.g. client, vendor).
- Ensure proper project documentation is maintained (follow requirements of the appropriate management systems, contractual requirements as well as relevant known best practices).
- Manage the client relationship to obtain follow-on business for SNC-Lavalin. Support the business development effort required to win follow-on business as required.
- Identify and solve client and other key stakeholder problems that contribute to successful project delivery from the client’s and key stakeholder perspectives.
Qualifications and Experiences:
- Familiar with the standards of safety required in oil & gas facilities and demonstrated capabilities as a safety leader.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with the PEO.
- Engineering degree from a recognized university program.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant engineering design/project engineering experience in the oil & gas sector.
- Previous EPC/EPCM experience preferred.
- Understanding of the project execution life cycle, gate approval process, and deliverables and activities associated with each stage.
- Understanding of project controls systems, tools and methodologies.
- Understanding of the technical aspects of Engineering, Procurement and Construction work, including the interface requirements between the various project functions/disciplines.
- Understanding of and experience in the management of changes techniques.
- Recent supervisory experience leading and motivating teams.
- Strong leadership, organizational, team building and customer relations skills.
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Effective presentation / facilitation skills.