Join us. Unleash your energy within. If you have world-class ambitions to reach the stars while keeping your feet on the ground, we’re the team for you. We've created a new breed of company - future-focused with reimagined ambition across all disciplines within the energy sector. We respect heritage, talent, hard work and ambition and can offer an environment of truthfulness, optimism, professionalism, and warmth. Are you ready?
At Kent, we are driven by the energy within every member of our 10,000-strong team. Whatever our skill, our language, or our culture. We employ and empower the best and let them make decisions. Our values define and drive us every day to be the very best - for ourselves, our clients, our key stakeholders, the communities we operate in and the planet.
Our vision for Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging:
We recognize that diversity & inclusion are catalysts for success. We’re heightening awareness of the benefits of people diversity, diversity of experiences and diversity of our perspectives. Creating a culture of inclusivity where all employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our combined energy is fueled by different nationalities, across 6 continents and 24 countries. Our commitment is to celebrate character – no matter what ethnic background, gender, age, religion, identity, or disability.
About the Job
Kent is looking for an Instrument Lead Technician for a new build chemical plant project in Ontario.
Project - New Build Chemical Plant in Ontario, Canada
- Experience level in these roles should be a minimum of 5 years of relevant discipline experience (10+ years is preferable)
- Looking for (as essential skills) strong planning experience as well as good execution experience & Petro-chemical experience (polyethylene cracker as preferred) and/or utility plant (Boiler / Cogen Plants).
Key Reporting Relationships:
- Reports to the I&C specialist for planning and execution management support.
- Directs and supervises the I&C commissioning technicians in assigned plant areas ensuring full alignment and coordination with other discipline activities in the area.
- Communicates with the Commissioning I&C specialist for technical support.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Systems Completion Planning Phase
- Supervision of technician team compiling loop packs and validating Systems Completion Database SCDB.
- Excellent working knowledge of one SCDB preferably Orbit.
- Liaise with engineering stewarding and create engineering queries to EPCs based on technician validation/loop pack compilation questions.
Early Commissioning at Module yard Phase
- Ability to manage SCDB to generate work scope, create reports and manage punch items.
- Accountable for the completion of field instrument red lines on documentation such as loop diagrams, datasheets, wiring diagrams etc.
- Demonstrable mod yard commissioning experience preferably at the lead technician level.
- Extensive knowledge of E-house commissioning and modular commissioning inclusive of temporary ICSS.
- Collate and steward field copies of test documentation, records, red lines and related Commissioning and feed competed to I&C specialist and TO/HO team ).
- Planning and setting up mod yard I&C commissioning team inclusive of resources, tools, consumables and temporary ICSS test equipment.
Systems Completion Execution Phase at Site
- Creation and assurance of required permitting, isolations, zero energy states and full compliance with CSU and Area Prime Safe Working practices, methods and processes including JSA’s / FLRA’s / Toolbox talks etc.
- Instructs, supervises and provides first-line technical direction to technician teams, vendors and specialist subcontractors/third party personnel in the area to deliver to Static & Dynamic Commissioning targets.
- Supervision and control of between 8 and 12 I&C technicians & specialist vendors, inclusive of assigning daily work duties to technicians and reports on completion of tasks. Ensuring required competencies and work standards are maintained in the team and any deficiencies or short are addressed.
- Accountable for maintaining and completing of work packs such as loop folders and electrical work packs as per commissioning schedule priorities.
- Detailed Work preparation including job packs, materials, tools plant and equipment on a four-week look ahead basis.
- Assisting I&C specialist in work planning, resource planning and forecasting, including Level 5 planning development and support.
- Reporting on discipline commissioning resource needs, tools, test equipment, plant, spares etc. Ensure the right resource levels and technical skills are assigned to meet the Area’s schedule and commissioning execution requirements.
- Steward and create RFI’s to EPC based on technician field questions.
- Area interface & SIMOPS regular attendance and reporting.
- Ensuring that equipment and systems are fully commissioned at Handover, and ready to operate in compliance with the ICP
- Support the TO/HO team with MC Turnover from Construction, and with the Handover of Commissioned Systems to Operations.
Qualification and Experience:
- Technician certified, with preferably college technical diploma and 6+ years of relevant and transferable Project/Engineering/Commissioning experience with at least 2 years experience as a lead tech.
- Established track record in supervision of teams of up to 12 technicians through Mechanical Completion, Commissioning, Start-Up and initial plant operations.
- Proven strong technical skills in instrumentation
- Good working knowledge of plant ICSS inclusive of DCS, SIS and FGS.
- Good working knowledge of E-house commissioning inclusive of transformers, MCC, switchgear and UPS commissioning.
- Good working knowledge of loop checking, interlock testing, logic testing and C&E testing.
- Strong understanding of work planning, scheduling and tracking.
- Demonstrated work ethic with delivery focus with strong organizational ability.
- Exposure to CSU practices, processes, and expectations with respect to Systems Completion, Preservation, Commissioning and Start-Up operations of a major oil company.
- Read, write, and speak fluent English, especially as required to function effectively within a project team and to communicate with project management, contractors, and subcontractors.