Join us. Unleash your energy within.
If you have world-class ambitions to reach the stars while keeping your feet on the ground, we’re the team for you. We've created a new breed of company – future-focused with reimagined ambition across all disciplines within the energy sector.
We love people who know their own potential and are not afraid to use it. We know that together, we’re far more than the sum of our parts. So, we celebrate people who want to grow and develop as we work together on some of the largest projects on the energy world stage.
Our purpose and beliefs:
As Kent, we’re tackling the greatest challenge of our time - to bring our world the energy it needs in the most responsible way ever imagined.
It’s the energy of every member of our team driven by our beliefs that is making this happen. Whatever our skill, our language, or our culture. These beliefs define and direct us every day to be the very best - for ourselves, our clients, our key stakeholders, the communities we operate in and the planet:
We PLAY BIG
We thrive on EMOTIONAL AGILITY
We are FANATICAL ABOUT PERFORMANCE
We are built on INFINITE THINKING
Read more about the Purpose, Beliefs and Guiding Principles that drive us: https://kentplc.com/who-we-are/purpose-beliefs
Our vision for Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging:
We recognise that diversity & inclusion are catalysts for success. We’re heightening awareness on the benefits of people diversity, diversity of experiences and diversity of our perspectives. Creating a culture of inclusivity where all employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our combined energy is fueled by different nationalities, across 6 continents and 24 countries. Our commitment is to celebrate character – no matter what ethnic background, gender, age, religion, identity, or disability.
About the job:
Kent is looking for Group Manager – Mechanical that will corporately manages an entire team of engineers and designers in their respective department.
This is part of a recruitment drive during 2022 to develop and grow our Front End and General Engineering capability in the UK. We are seeking high caliber people for this key Group Manager role that have talent, enthusiasm and drive to influence and be part of our exciting expansion plan. The UK Engineering group will support a variety of interesting and challenging opportunities in Low Carbon/ Energy Transition (CCUS, Green Hydrogen, Blue Hydrogen, Offshore Wind, Waste to X, Emissions Reduction) as well as responsibly developing traditional international energy projects. Being confidently hands on particularly during 2022 as we grow, collaborative (including international workshare and teamworking) and committed to a long-term career within a high performing and close team are some of the key qualities we are seeking.
We operate a hybrid working model with a mix of office and home working. For our team to develop an effective team dynamic within Engineering.
• Develops primary goals, operating plans, policies, and short and long-term objectives
• Implement the above following approval from the board of directors
• Establish organogram structure for the department and delegates authority to subordinates
• Leads the department towards objectives, meets with and advises subordinates
• Maintaining the technical competence of the discipline and quality of delivery on projects
• The Mechanical Group Manager is accountable to the Engineering Director
• Kent values are at the heart of everything we do. They make us unique, inspire our success, and guide our decisions and actions. The employee will be aligned to these values, striving at all times to be safe, ethical, innovative, responsive, quality and cost conscious and driven to deliver
• Allocate appropriate manpower for the preparation of proposals/ concept studies, FEED and detailed engineering on projects. Maximise billable hours
• May undertake role of a lead engineer or study manager on a small project in addition to corporate departmental responsibilities
• Continuously evaluate manpower and competency requirements; ensure RESOURCE TOOL is kept up to date; develop manpower plans, charts and schedules. Recommend, assign and allocate manpower for the execution of engineering activities within the budgeted project man-hours. Recommend cost effective measures to reduce overall manpower costs. Evaluate current manpower skill levels and allocate work among engineering staff according to complexity, specialised training and project requirements
• Recommend recruitment requirements in support of department engineering activities; participate in screening of applicants, interviewing, selection and hiring of candidates in accordance with company procedures and approval processes
• Direct the activities of department performance evaluations. Establish clear work standards and ensure performance objectives are met. Evaluate and make recommendation for promotions, salary increases, transfers, and terminations
• Determine training and development requirements within the department; confer with supervisory level personnel in the identification of skill gaps and training needs. Mentor and motivate department staff
• Analyse technology trends, recommend upgrade of systems and procedures when required. Assess, identify and develop technical tools, conduct presentations and seminars to update and improve the quality of engineering deliverables
• Interface and regularly meet with client and vendor representatives, head internal staff and kick-off meetings, ensure the progress of project completion in accordance to determined schedules, allotted man hours and budgeted costs. Coordinate with projects and planning departments on schedule related issues
• Identify and organise the preparation and implementation of standard design guides, specifications, datasheets and checklists
• Consult with quality assurance on any issues relating to compliance with Kent’s QMS, project quality plan and design integrity processes and procedures. Coordinate internal and client audit requests. Comply with Kent accredited frameworks such as ISO 14001
• Evaluate and assess department material resources, recommend library books, codes and standards and software requirements
• Hold regular departmental meetings and maintain corporate communication with department members
• Provide technical corporate leadership in support of project activities and may approve critical deliverables
• Address personnel management issues in conjunction with project and HR functions, undertakes appraisal, and responsible for reviewing training and development needs
• Participate in preparation of proposals including execution statements, man-hour cost estimates and client clarifications
• Raise issues of concern, development and improvement to Engineering Director
• Manages the overall engineering activities of the department, accountable for overall discipline related activities for the successful completion of proposals and/or projects within allotted schedule, quality, man-hour and costs. Accountable for the entire department budget.
Decision Making Authority
• Makes decisions on recruitment issues and on mobilisation/ demobilisation of personnel with approval from Engineering Director. Takes ultimate decisions on critical/ technical issues and supports project interface with client as necessary. Recruits’ personnel as required to meet resource requirements.
• Typically supervises department staff of over 10 engineers and designers
Physical Effort and Work Environment
• Duties essentially performed in Kent offices. Time spent in supervision, planning, coordination, attending meetings and maintaining contacts. May be required to travel to other Kent offices, client’s offices, vendor offices and attend site visits as necessary, in accordance with corporate or project requirements.
• Our team will be expected to be in the office nominally 3 days a week to help build that positive team culture.
• As we expand and grow Kent will seek to relocate from the current offices to larger premises in Surrey.
Your knowledge/skills, education, and experience:
• Honours degree in mechanical engineering.
• Chartered status preferred. Significant related project management experience working for engineering/client organisations in the oil and gas industry and/or Low Carbon Energy Transition projects.
• Previous experience in a management position
• Excellent management, including delegation, and leadership skills
• Excellent coordination, monitoring and supervisory skills
• Tactful in resolving issues
• Cost awareness
• Proactive approach.
• Attention to detail
• Team player.
• Excellent Communication and presentation skills.
• Exposure to consultancy, FEED/ detailed design and EPC projects
• Understanding of contract terms and conditions
• Knowledge of applicable international and industry specifications, standards and codes
• Knowledge of safety and quality procedures and best practice
• Specialist/high competency in specific area(s) of engineering activity scheduling and discipline work priorities.
• Working under pressure
• Planning and forecasting
• HSSE and quality consciousness
• Ability to meet schedules and deadlines
• Analytical and problem-solving mind set
• Global work share experience