Why Work at Kent?
Join us. Unleash your energy within.
If you have world-class ambitions to reach the stars while keeping your feet on the ground, we’re the team for you. We've created a new breed of company – future-focused with reimagined ambition across all disciplines within the energy sector.
We love people who know their potential and are not afraid to use it. We know that together, we’re far more than the sum of our parts. So, we celebrate people who want to grow and develop as we work together on some of the most significant projects on the energy world stage.
Our purpose and beliefs:
As Kent, we’re tackling the greatest challenge of our time - to bring our world the energy it needs most responsibly ever imagined.
It’s the energy of every member of our team driven by our beliefs that is making this happen. Whatever our skill, our language, or our culture. These beliefs define and direct us every day to be the very best - for ourselves, our clients, our key stakeholders, the communities we operate in and the planet:
We PLAY BIG
We thrive on EMOTIONAL AGILITY
We are FANATICAL ABOUT PERFORMANCE
We are built on INFINITE THINKING
Read more about the Purpose, Beliefs and Guiding Principles that drive us: https://kentplc.com/who-we-are/purpose-beliefs.
About the job:
Kent is recruiting a Fiber Optic Technician within an Oil Sands Environment.
Some of the skills the candidate must possess are:
- Must have great organizational and time management skills.
- Splicing, testing, and troubleshooting of Fibre-optic Cables
- Experience with OTDR testing to prove high losses and open locations with accuracy
- Capable in fibre cable termination with a variety of connector types.
- Analyze test results and have the ability to troubleshoot and correct any faults or defects
- Work outdoors in various conditions to place copper or fiber optic telecommunication cables
- Good troubleshooting skills and the ability to adapt to changes in the field.
- Knowledge of patch panels, pigtails, patch cords and splice boxes.
- Good understanding of IP networking, RF, Microwave, WAP, 802.11, switching, routing, firewalls
- Ability to drill, tap and mount hardware. Including cutting, fabricating and assembling steel brackets.
- Ability to terminate/test
coaxial cable (LMR400/LMR195/RG58/Heliax)
- Ability to terminate/test
data cables (CAT5/5e)
- 5 years of splicing experience.
- Experience programming wireless radios
- Competency in OTDR and other testing protocol
- Must be able to provide a clear criminal record check and a clean driver’s abstract
- Safety sensitive position – the ability to use good judgement when completing work and reporting any safety concerns that arise – (Using Hazard assessment documents/Permits)
- Able to lift 50lbs - This role is physically demanding and requires you to work in some tight and awkward areas for long periods of time (a Fit Test will be conducted before being hired)
- Strong Reading, Writing and Communication in English are a must.
- Competent driving and winter driving skills– Mine driving experience is an asset.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Be component and confident in operating AWPs