Why Work at Kent?
Join us. Unleash your energy within. If you have world class ambitions to reach the stars while keeping your feet on the ground, we’re the team for you. We've created a new breed of company - future focused with reimagined ambition across all disciplines within the energy sector. We respect heritage, talent, hard work and ambition and can offer an environment of truthfulness, optimism, professionalism, and warmth. Are you ready?
At Kent, we are driven by the energy within every member of our 10,000-strong team. Whatever our skill, our language, or our culture. We employ and empower the best and let them make decisions. Our values define and drive us every day to be the very best - for ourselves, our clients, our key stakeholders, the communities we operate in and the planet.
Our vision for Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging:
We recognise that diversity & inclusion are catalysts for success. We’re heightening awareness on the benefits of people diversity, diversity of experiences and diversity of our perspectives. Creating a culture of inclusivity where all employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our combined energy is fueled by different nationalities, across 6 continents and 24 countries. Our commitment is to celebrate character – no matter what ethnic background, gender, age, religion, identity, or disability.
About the job:
Kent is recruiting a Fiber Optic Technician within an Oil Sands Environment.
Some of the skills the candidate must possess are:
- Must have great organizational and time management skills.
- Splicing, testing, and troubleshooting of Fiber optic Cables
- Experience with OTDR testing to prove high losses and open locations with accuracy
- Capable in fibre cable termination with a variety of connector types.
- Analyze test results and have the ability to troubleshoot and correct any faults or defects
- Work outdoors in various conditions to place copper or fiber optic telecommunication cables
- Good troubleshooting skills and the ability to adapt to changes in the field.
- Knowledge of patch panels, pigtails, patch cords and splice boxes.
- Good understanding of IP networking, RF, Microwave, WAP, 802.11, switching, routing, firewalls
- Ability to drill, tap and mount hardware. Including cutting, fabricating and assembling steel brackets.
- Ability to terminate/test
coaxial cable (LMR400/LMR195/RG58/Heliax)
- Ability to terminate/test
data cables (CAT5/5e)
- 5 years of splicing experience.
- Experience programming wireless radios
- Competency in OTDR and other testing protocol
- Must be able to provide a clear criminal record check and a clean driver’s abstract
- Safety sensitive position – the ability to use good judgement when completing work and reporting any safety concerns that arise – (Using Hazard assessment documents/Permits)
- Able to lift 50lbs - This role is physically demanding and requires you to work in some tight and awkward areas for long periods of time (Fit Test will be conducted before being hired)
- Strong Reading, Writing and Communication in English is a must.
- Competent driving and winter driving skills– Mine driving experience an asset.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Be component and confident in operating AWPs