Kent is seeking applications from experienced professionals to join our world class Safety team as a Chief Engineer for Technical Safety, with the potential to grow into one of our Subject Matter Experts.
The team is largely based in Glasgow, though Kent would be pleased to consider flexible working arrangements. We are committed to finding the best talent to support our business regardless of location and our systems support effective team working in this environment.
Foremost amongst your attributes will be your ability to act as technical lead for a range of safety work, your passion to develop junior engineers and your ability to communicate with colleagues and clients.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
As part of a leading consultancy, you will successfully lead delivery of Safety commissions and develop our capability. You will be supporting our clients and their ongoing operations, within high hazard industries such as Oil & Gas, Low Carbon and Renewables industries and through the energy transition.
The role will typically include:
- Support and mentoring more junior engineers to further develop their skill and application of technical safety principles.
- Developing strong ties with global clients and winning work across a range of high hazard industries.
- Management of projects to ensure work-scopes are delivered in compliance with agreed scope, budgets and schedules.
- Providing technical leadership on bespoke safety studies such as QRA, Formal Safety Assessments, COMAH, DSEAR, etc.
- Authorship, review and approval of technical reports.
- Facilitation of and participation in HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA and other risk management workshops.
- Development and ownership of methodologies for the full spectrum of technical safety studies carried out within the team.
- The opportunity to grow into a Subject Matter Expert, responsible for:
- Supporting the Discipline Technical Authority (TA) in the further development of the global technical community.
- Identifying gaps and opportunities for improvements in our technical tools, standards and procedures.
- Promoting the wider capability within the business.
- Developing guidance for career paths and training programs.
- In addition to having excellent communication and problem-solving skills, you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering (or related) subject.
- Chartered with a relevant institution.
- 15+ years’ experience working in Process/Technical Safety in the high hazard industries.
- Extensive experience in risk identification, assessment and management.
- In depth knowledge of QRA, functional safety and other safety techniques, including consequence and frequency analyses, fault tree analyses, bowtie development.
- Good understanding and application of relevant legislation and industry standards, such as COMAH, DSEAR, Safety Case Regulations, PFEER, etc.
- Ability to prepare technical reports to a high standard.
- Ability to review and approve work.
- Ability to provide advice on technical issues.
- Preparation of proposals and cost estimates for studies.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent time-management skills with proven ability to work to deadlines.
- Experienced in leading multidisciplinary teams of engineers in delivery of complex technical work scopes.
- Experience in mentoring of more junior engineers.
- Experience in a client-facing role, showing an understanding of commercial challenges relevant to a consultancy business, confident in selling services and winning work.
- Have a network of contacts in the industry.
- Fully computer literate in Office 365 computer packages principally MS Word and Excel.
- Be responsive and proactive to opportunities to grow business.
- Willingness to travel within the UK and internationally for short terms assignments to support our client’s projects.
Note that our team works across high hazard industries including Oil & Gas, Low Carbon and Renewable industries. We welcome applications from safety specialists in any of these areas and do not necessarily expect you to demonstrate experience in all sectors. This role would be Principal or Chief Engineer level depending on experience.
We are committed to our diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. From day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures, and abilities.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Follow the link below to apply for this role. This link will route you through to the recruitment team at SNC-Lavalin who are currently supporting Kent with hiring activity for an interim period. In August 2021, Kentech acquired the Oil and Gas Business of SNC-Lavalin and this led to the relaunch of our new company, now known as Kent.
Please do not click the ‘Apply Today’ button.