Kent is looking for a dynamic and motivated Chief Geotechnical Engineer with strong technical credentials and particular focus in advanced geotechnical Evaluation and offshore geotechnics to support our increasing workload in the UK and globally.
As our Chief Geotechnical Engineer, you will oversee the winning delivery of our global portfolio of projects through various levels of development (conceptual, FEED, detailed design, consultancy and O&M projects) for major offshore wind / O&G assets. This position provides the opportunity for a passionate person to contribute to the growing renewables sector, actively helping to combat climate change.
In the role you will be responsible for leading teams of engineers to deliver design and consultancy scopes for a variety of offshore wind / O&G projects.
You will be able to perform as a Technical Authority in the geotechnical discipline. You have sufficient experience to understand and communicate project critical issues to other engineering specialists after meetings and discussions.
You’ll be building and maintaining client relationships, with a view to winning more work, as well as contributing to successful proposals and tenders and providing ad-hoc consultancy work on geotechnical related queries. You will be also be responsible for building a team, guiding and mentoring junior engineers.
As our Geotechnical Technical Authority your responsibilities will include:
- Working with the Global TA and the UK&E TA community to develop and implement the regional technical strategy/plan for their discipline to feed into UK&E business/market strategy, to include capability development and recruitment.
- Advising/liaising with market leaders to ensure technical capabilities needed by the market and our clients are identified, developed and delivered.
- Navigating their discipline to be relevant in the Energy Transition and driving a plan to transition technical skills where necessary.
- Supporting the regional business to meet financial targets by winning & delivering profitable projects with high-quality engineering.
- Raising Kent’s external technical profile by developing strong client relationships and through thought leadership e.g. conferences, journals, committees, industry bodies, academic links.
- Providing cross-office direction of discipline specific issues such as appointment/resourcing of competent staff to project roles, recruitment, capability development, training needs, dissemination of lessons learnt, promotion of good practice and awareness of industry developments (e.g. codes/standards).
- Identifying and developing technical and knowledge networks across O&G and Offshore Wind, to ensure tools, methods and systems are consistent in their application and reflect best practice.
Kent is a fast paced, innovative, and exciting environment to develop your career, that offers excellent opportunity to work on global offshore wind / O&G projects with exciting opportunities for technical and personal development. The right person will play a key part in maintaining our best-in-class reputation and be part of an integrated team.
Our global opportunities and innovation initiatives will allow you to excel and build upon your strengths as we continue our growth into existing and exciting emerging markets.
Our Engineering and Consultancy Services business is delivering engineering, design and consultancy solutions to the renewables, low carbon, and oil and gas sectors all over the world. This role will focus both on the offshore wind and O&G markets, such as supporting our industry-leading work in the structural integrity management and decommissioning of offshore oil and gas structures.
- You enjoy new challenges and are keen to learn, whilst also wanting to support others within our diverse multi-disciplinary teams.
- You enjoy working on multiple fast-paced projects, balancing the need for high quality design and review with the need to deliver within required time and cost budgets.
- You will also have a range of the following desirable experience and attributes.
- Ideally Chartered (with a suitable engineering institution), or actively working towards chartership. A strong academic background with a relevant degree and ideally an MSc or PhD in a relevant subject.
- Proven geotechnical Review and design experience, with significant experience in the Offshore sector.
- Experience in leading offshore design including offshore foundation design (monopile, jacket foundations and suction caissons), driveability, cable burial trench ability and deep-water anchoring.
- Detailed understanding of advanced constitutive soil models, parameter selection for such models, soil-structure interaction, and experience of numerical modelling software (FLAC, PLAXIS 2D/3D etc) in addition to standard geotechnical software.
- Experience in validation of geotechnical numerical Review and numerical model calibration.
- Experience in managing the process of geotechnical numerical analysis within an interdisciplinary project environment.
- A desire to drive digital innovation and further our capability in offshore geotechnics and advanced geotechnical analysis.
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with clients and engineers from other disciplines.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work.
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas.
- Working towards or holding Chartered status.
- A valid UK driving licence.
- We are actively recruiting across all of our UK offices (Aberdeen, Glasgow, Bristol, Edinburgh, Epsom, London) and are open to the successful candidate’s preferred location.
- We support flexible working arrangements and can discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. This role can be considered on a part-time or full-time basis.
- Travel to other company and client sites may occasionally be necessary as part of the role.
- Successful candidates may be required to undergo a security vetting process in which case offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Competitive salary.
- Extensive benefits package available, including 25 days annual leave with option to purchase a further 15 days available. See the link to our website for full details of our benefits package: Your Benefits (snclavalin.com)
- Flexible working arrangements possible.
- Attractive pension scheme.
To apply, please submit your CV along with a cover letter briefly outlining your background and why you’d be a good candidate for this role.
We are committed to our diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. From day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements, and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures, and abilities.
Follow the link below to apply for this role. This link will route you through to the recruitment team at SNC-Lavalin who are currently supporting Kent with hiring activity for an interim period. In August 2021, Kentech acquired the Oil and Gas Business of SNC-Lavalin and this led to the relaunch of our new company, now known as Kent.
Please do not click the ‘Apply Today’ button.